Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Sweet Smell of Sulphur

I can't believe it worked, my crazy experiment.  (see profile about art and science for more irony)  I can't possibly be the only person who has thought of this.    My over the top sense of smell is a blessing and a curse.   Like the time I smelled gas that no one else did, including the electric co. guy, but when he got his little tester out, we were living in a potential time bomb due to a gas line leak.  OTH, I'm super sensitive to chemicals, perfumes, etc.   Back on subject, I really dislike the smell of liver of sulphur for adding patina to my jewelry.  Seriously dislike.  So I got to thinking about sulphur and egg yolks... Since I no longer have my darling Itchy and Scratchy...
I asked a friend to bring me 2 very fresh eggs from his pet chickens.  I hard boiled them, roughly chopped them up and put them in a plastic sandwich bag.  Next I inserted the various components of my necklace along with a few random pieces, such as rondelles and jump rings and sealed the bag up.  I'm thinking maybe in a few days there would be some patina on the pieces.  I went to fold laundry, came back 20 minutes later, and my pieces were black!!!  I was so happy!  I rinsed them off and polished as usual.  This is the downside; the little egg pieces get caught in the cracks and crevices of your pieces.  But I'll take the trade-off any day.  Lovely patina without that nasty, fatal-if-inhaled-or-swallowed liver of sulphur.  Yay!    Happy 4th of July!  Happy Birthday, America.  I am so blessed to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment