Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Special Project for Special Kids

Starting with plain cotton bags,  I randomly placed Tim Holtz's Masks on the bags and then sprayed them with 2 to 3 colors of Adirondack Color Sprays.   I used Distress Re-Inkers to randomly drop color on the bags after removing the masks.   Using a spray bottle of water with a very tiny amount of bleach, I misted the bags to blend the colors.  After letting them air dry, I heat set them in the dryer.   Following the directions on the Color Spray bottles, I rinsed the bags to remove any excess dye.   I squeezed them out to get a sort of tie dye effect and then tossed them in the dryer a second time.   Of course the squeezing created cool effects but lots of wrinkles.   So out came the iron to smooth out the bags for stamping.   I don't iron clothes...at all.  But this is different, so I cranked up my ipod and happily went to work.

Next, I wanted to put a positive saying on the bags, so I chose Tim's "Encourage Your Hopes Not Your Fears" stamp.  This is a grungy type of stamp, so I thought it would work well with paint, in that it wouldn't be a problem if there were a few globs here and there.   I mixed Tim's Acrylic Paint Dabber in Black poured out of the bottle (instead of using the dabber applicator) and mixed with Golden's fabric medium, GAC 900.  I then applied the paint to the stamp with a foam brush and stamped the bags.

But the best part of this story....I put the little cotton bags in a big pillow case and tied it up BEFORE I put them in the dryer.   I did this in loads, about 32 bags at a time.  Well on the last load, the pillow case came undone.  Of course I was too excited to get busy ironing and stamping and failed to notice the beautiful rainbow coating the inside of the dryer.   So the next day when my housemate washed his whites....well you know the rest of the story.  Funny as heck, I think.  We've been friends forever, so he'll get over it.  LOL!  What's wrong with rainbow underwear?  I think it looks cool!



2 comments:

  1. beautiful little bags..i love little things like that..brings a smile to my face...~kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! I'm glad you like them. They were part of a project for some kids cancer camp. I had a blast making them. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete